The showpiece of the Crawford legacy stands as one of the longest family owned castles in the world. The castle keep was started in 1236. The castle has grown into a fine Scottish example of castles. It features 27 rooms with a grand dining room and the King Charles room. Stay for a while in the Queen Mary of Scots room. Bask in the sun overlooking the peat filled streams that feed the livestock and working ranch of the Ayrshire estate. The Crawford family has lived in the estates for over 800 years.
The Laird and Lady of Craufurd – the Houison Craufurd's – have added a fine dining restaurant, “The Lairds Table” for those that want to be treated like royalty. The restaurant overlooks the estate fishery where many a generations of fishermen have come to try their luck and swap “Big Fish” stories.
Take a walk on the estates in the quiet forests paths. Or, try your skills and courage at the TreeTop Trials. The estate features a challenging ropes course high up in the trees to test your courage and your strength. You don’t even have to be a Crawford to enjoy the course or the archery.
The Castle grounds are rolling hills with livestock and floral gardens. The forests and walking paths take you to a fairyland like stream where the peat colors the water.
Crawford Castle, substantially in ruins, is located on the north bank of the River Clyde, around half a mile north of Crawford, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The ruins stand on an earlier motte and bailey earthwork. The castle was formerly known as Lindsay Tower, after its former owners, the Lindsay family. The strategic location of the castle, at NS954213, guards the strategically important Mennock Pass from England into the upper Clyde Valley.
This site was the administrative center for the Barony of Crawford, at that time the largest and most influential barony in southern Scotland. The Barony was established before 1100 when records of the period show Thorlongus of the Merse as Overlord of Crawford. From this line descended the surname of Crawford as the original occupants of the barony. Crawford Castle was in existence by 1175, and was probably built as an earthwork and timber castle some time before this by the Crawford family.
The Lindsay family inherited half of the Barony of Crawford, known as Crawford Parish, via a marriage in 1215 to the younger daughter of Sir John Crawford, who died in 1246 without male issue. (Sir John's elder daughter Margaret married a Douglas scion.) The Crawford family retained the other half, known as Crawfordjohn Parish, as the Barony had been divided among the Crawford family four generations earlier. Crawford Castle is located in Crawford Parish. From an early date, the Clan Carmichael of Meadowflat acted as hereditary constables of the castle, retaining this post under successive owners.
Perhaps the best-known monument in Mowbray Park is that dedicated to the Sunderland sailor, Jack Crawford. The monument was unveiled in 1890 and depicts Jack in his most famous act: nailing a flag to a ship’s mast. Strangely the monument was erected rather late as Jack died in 1831 and the heroic act for which he was famed took place in 1797.
Crawford was born in Sunderland’s ‘East End’, the port area of ‘Old Sunderland’ as it is known. He worked for a time as a keelman before he was enforced into the Royal Navy by a press gang in 1796.
On October 11, 1797 a British fleet under Admiral Duncan was engaged in the Battle of Camperdown off the coast of Holland against the Dutch fleet when the mast of the Admiral’s ship The Venerable was shot down along with his flag.
Lowering of the flag signified a surrender, so the brave (or perhaps inebriated) Jack, climbed what remained of the mast – he was probably ordered to so so – and nailed the flag in place. He performed this heroic act as the Dutch fired their bullets upon him, with one bullet piercing his cheek. Crawford’s actions are believed to have given rise to that well-known phrase “nailing your colours to the mast”.
Victory followed and Jack was proclaimed a national hero. He was even presented before the King. Sadly, Jack fell on hard times and poverty in later life, when he was often found to be drunk.
Jack Crawford died in 1831. He was one of the first victims of the horrific cholera epidemic that entered the country through the port of Sunderland. The disease swept across the nation where it killed around 32,000 people. Originating in India, this epidemic had already killed millions before entering Britain via Sunderland where the first fatality was a 12-year old girl called Isabella Hazard who lived near the River Wear. She died only a day after contracting the disease.
From the Fayette County Cultural Trust.
In 2017 native Samuel Kilpatrick's statue of Col. Crawford will have been standing in the same spot at the Connellsville Carnegie Free Library for 100 years. This is the oldest bronze statue in Fayette County, and the only statue in Fayette to honor Col. Crawford.
The restoration cost of this statue was $9,500.00. This includes the initial cleaning, brazing repairs and refinishing to make the statue new again. The restoration work was completed in two weeks.
Thanks to many individuals and organizations for sponsoring this project. $9500.00 was raised.
Thanks to the many sponsors for the generous contributions to preserve this statue for future generations. Click thru to find out more and view the sponsors and contributors.
The Colonel Crawford Burn Site Monument is a war monument in rural Wyandot County, Ohio, United States. Placed in the 1870s, it commemorates the death by burning of Colonel William Crawford during the concluding years of the American Revolution. The stone monument itself was long the subject of local interest, and it has been named a historic site.
As the end of the American Revolution approached, warfare continued in the backcountry of modern Ohio; British-allied Indians continued to harass the American settlers. In 1782, a regiment of Virginia soldiers was sent in reprisal to destroy Indian villages on the Sandusky River, under the command of William Crawford, a friend of victorious General George Washington. However, the Crawford expedition ended on June 4 after a skirmish south of modern-day Carey, and the Americans retreated. Colonel Crawford was captured by the Indians after the battle, and seven days later he was tortured and burned at the stake on the banks of Tymochtee Creek in present-day northeastern Wyandot County.
As the centenary of the burning approached, a movement arose to commemorate Crawford's death with a monument. The movement's proponents were aroused by a strong sense of the incident's importance: besides being the earliest major event in Wyandot County history, it was the county's most prominent event of all time in their opinion. One of the county's leading lawyers, Curtis Berry, originated the idea of marking the site. The marker is made of sandstone from Berea, Ohio, worked in the shape of a cannon and cut approximately 8.5 feet (2.6 m) tall. Local labor at B.L. Bauscher's firm in Upper Sandusky performed the stone cutting during the middle of 1877, and the monument was dedicated later in the year. The dedication ceremony saw thousands of people in attendance. For many years, the local Pioneer Association hosted an annual Pioneer Picnic at the monument, until the deaths of older residents and the apathy of younger residents saw the demise of the event in 1935. Interest returned in the 1970s: locals opposed the construction of a proposed electric transmission line by the site, and it became a popular location for school field trips.
Image by Mcclellan28 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19910163
Commemorative monuments are typically ineligible for National Register listing, and sites such as the Crawford Burn Site Monument can qualify only if the markers themselves have become historically significant
A Church of Scotland congregation on Dalry Road (at Kirkland Road), Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire, Scotland. Although the building dates back to the 15th century, the present congregation was formed in 1978 by the amalgamation of the Glengarnock Parish Church and the Barony Church.
Previously known as "The Barony Church", after the barony that had been obtained by John Craufurd of Kilbirnie in 1641, the church is constructed on the site of a 6th-century monastic cell. The town of Kilbirnie derives its name from the church. The name is Gaelic in origin and means "Church of St Brendan" (the Gaelic cil, pronounced 'kil', signifying a church, suffixed by the name of the saint). "Auld Kirk" in Scots simply means Old Church.
The Craufurd tomb contains the effigies of Captain Thomas Craufurd of Jordanhill and his wife Janet ker of Kersland. Thomas died on 3 January 1603 having achieved fame through capturing Dumbarton Castle for King James VI, for which brave achievement he was given the lands of Jordanhill near Glasgow as a reward. The inscription on the tomb reads GOD SCHAW THE RICHT. HEIR LYIS THOMAS CRAUFURD OF IORDANHILL SEXT SON TO LAURENCE CRAUFURD OF KILBIRNY AND IONET KER HIS SPOUS ELDEST DOCHTER TO ROBERT FER OF KERRISLAND 1594.
Morning worship is celebrated each Sunday at 11.00am. The service generally has a traditional structure but has also included a variety of input and approaches aimed at being relevant to today's world.
Visitors are most welcome.
The substantial remains of the old castle and sixteenth century manor house of Kilbirnie lie west of the town of Kilbirnie in North Ayrshire, Scotland, on the lower slopes of the Glengarnock Hills, in the old Barony of Kilbirnie. The building is also variously known as the Place of Kilbirnie, The Place, or Kilbirnie House.
The site lies close to a stream and small but deep ravine that once provided a defensive function for the castle site. The castle and manor house themselves are not in the grounds of the Kilbirnie Place Golf Club, which was itself laid out in 1925 on the old landscaped 'pleasure grounds' once attached to the castle site.
The OS maps show that a much later estate and house called Place was located nearby, built by the Knox family but now mostly demolished
The name "Kilbirnie" is derived from the Gaelic language, and means "Church of St Brendan". The parish was divided into three baronies: Kilbirnie, Ladyland, and Glengarnock. The feudal Barony of Kilbirnie was the largest in the parish at around 5500 acres and had the most fertile quarter with 3000 acres of arable, pasture and woodland.
The first abbey in Scotland, was founded by Margaret, Queen of Malcolm Canmore, The Church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity in 1074.
Kilburnie Auld Kirk and Kirk House
Robert the Bruce gave the lands of Arnele to Robert Boyd of Kilmarnock in 1315. The Boyd family built the castle in the mid 1300's, The rectangular "hall house" was converted to a 'tower house' over time. Portencross Castle is both a scheduled ancient monument and a grade "A" listed building.
The ancestral home of the Campbells of Loudoun. The origins of the family can be traced back to the reign of King David I (1094-1153) when Richard de Morvelle was High Constable of Scotland. The shell you see today is of a building created in the early 1800's. Sir Hugh de Craufurd of Loudoun was the grandfather of William Wallace (1273 - 1305).
In sight from the William Wallace Memorial. The Crawford's hold a great history here.